Wednesday 5 July 2017

Steamed Yellow Onion Juice (Home Remedy for Cough)

Prep Time : -
Cook Time : 1 Hour
Yield : 1 adult serving
Freezer friendly : No



Ingredient:
1 big yellow onion


Steps:
1) Cut the top and bottom part of the onion and peel.
2) Put onion in a bowl, steamed for 1 hour.
3) Pour the steamed onion and its juice through a sieve, using a spoon, press steamed onion so that the juice will go through the sieve.  Using the spoon, flip the steamed onion and press again. Repeat until you do not see any onion juice seeping out when you press the steamed onion. This step is crucial to extract more onion juice.
4) Serve while it is still warm.

While this remedy is written for kids, it is also working well for myself. I have a tip for those who cannot stands the smell of the onion like me. Pour the onion juice into a wide-mouth bowl or a plate and consume while its still warm, at least it does not smell too onion to me and I am able to make it down my throat. Storing the onion juice in a small container or jar will make the onion smell stronger especially the moment I open the lid. My 4 year old does not seem to have this issue, she drinks it as if its a delicious little bowl of soup and I am quite happy with this haha.

If I am not going to consume immediately, I would keep it warm for few hours and do Step 3 when I am ready to consume. In the case of kids, if they cannot finish in 1 serving, keep in the fridge and warm it up for other servings but within a day.

This has helped my 4 year old to reduce cough and phlegm. The results can be seen after 3 days of consumption of 1 serving daily. I also applied Baby Balsam Vicks on the chest, back and under foot area with socks on thereafter before going to bed each night. The application of Baby Balsam Vicks had reduce a lot of the night time coughing.

Here are the step by step photos:

 Cut & peel onion, place in a glass bowl

Put water into the inner pot

Place the steamer rack & bowl with onion into the inner pot

Insert the inner pot into the smart cooker, select steam (1hour)
  
Take out the bowl, be careful, it's hot!

Spoon the onion and put onto the sieve, which was place on top of the glass bowl, 
press the onion using a spoon

Flip the onion using the spoon, press again, notice that juice will 
seep out along the edge of the spoon

Repeat until you don't see any juice seeping out. 

 Another tip is to hold the seive with one hand so that there is gap in between the sieve and the bowl. Press with spoon with another hand, if you see juice going through the seive to the bowl, repeat the step until no more.

Tadaaa, my onion juice, extracted with love...

Store in a container with lid and chill. Warm it up when ready to serve. 
Consume the same day.




No comments:

Post a Comment